Though we’re fond of sunny summer days, fall is a beautiful time to be a Chicagoan. At Matrix Partners, we take full advantage of sweater weather, boot season and all things pumpkin-flavored, savoring the crisp air before it turns (truly) cold. Our team brainstormed the things we love most about the season, including recipes and Chicago activities. Enjoy! ____________________________________________________________________________ Eat (and drink). 🍴 Kira and Angie’s Thanksgiving Feast Treats for Dogs via Dogster/Claire Lower This recipe makes approximately two dozen treats. Ingredients: 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey 1 large sweet potato; baked, peeled, and mashed 2 cups of whole wheat flour Dried cranberries for garnish Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place all ingredients except cranberries in a large bowl and mix with a spoon or your hands until combined.
- Roll dough into golf ball-sized mounds, smoosh between your hands to form cookies, and press a dried cranberry into the center of each one.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, then let cool and prepare for your pup to become completely obsessed.
🍴 Pumpkin Pie (for people!) Ingredients: 3/4 cup of sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ginger 1/4 teaspoon cloves 2 eggs 1 can pumpkin purée 1 can evaporated milk 1 9″ unbaked pie crust (Pillsbury pie crust in the refrigerator section is great) Directions:
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the evaporated milk
- Add evaporated milk and gradually stir into mixture
- Pour into pie crust and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 40-50 minutes
🍹 Caramel Apple Sangria Ingredients: 1 bottle white wine 1 bottle sparkling apple cider 1 cup caramel vodka (for added alcohol, but you can leave out if you want) 1/4 cup caramel syrup 4 apples, chopped Directions:
- Chill the white wine, sparkling apple cider and caramel vodka
- Once cold, mix together the wine, cider and vodka and add the caramel syrup
- Chop the apples into small cubes and add to the sangria
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve
🍹 Pumpkin Pie Martini Ingredients: 2 parts RumChata 1 part vanilla vodka 3 tablespoons pumpkin pie filling Directions: Shake with ice and strain into a martini glass; sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy! ____________________________________________________________________________ Play. 🍁 Get your greenery on at Gethsemane Garden Center 🍁 Fright Fest at Six Flags Great America 🍁 Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight 🍁 Halloween Swing Dance at Willowbrook Ballroom 🍁 Apple picking in the ‘burbs ____________________________________________________________________________ LOVE. 💚 Sunday night football! 💚 Sweater weather. 💚 Long walks with the pups to take in the beautiful colors of the trees (or to just enjoy stepping on the crunchy leaves). 💚 ALL things Halloween – decor, haunted houses, costume parties and of course, scary movie marathons. 💚 Fireplaces indoors and no more mosquitoes outdoors. 💚 A more comfortable commute on a significantly less sweaty CTA. 💚 Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter and pumpkin spice-flavored pumpkin seeds. 💙 CUBS BASEBALL IN OCTOBER!